Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Sitter

It was a Friday night back in the fall of 1993. I was slumped awkwardly in the front seat of an old Buick Century that belonged to a man name Mike. Mike drummed his fingers on the steering wheel as he explained bedtime routines and emergency contact information. He rolled through a stop sign and added, "There's pizza in the fridge."

Normally, that news alone would be enough to make me ecstatic. But I hardly heard. I was too busy worrying about what the night would bring.


I was to be the babysitter for the evening. I liked kids, but I had never done any babysitting before (at least not officially). So as we drove down Sioux Center's Main Street--past the recently erected Centre Mall--questions raced through my mind. How was I going to entertain a ten month old child for more than, say, four minutes? And when was the last time I'd ever changed a diaper (if ever)? More importantly, did I really know how to do it?


I was pretty sure I didn't. But I figured I'd try almost anything for a $1.75 an hour.


Things ended up going just fine that night. I put the diaper on frontwards (At leas I assume that I did. The Pooh Bears go in front, right?). I got little Justin to bed on time and without too much crying. And I was extra vigilant. I made sure to stay awake until Mike and Michelle returned home--even if it meant fighting off sleep all the way through Letterman and halfway through O'Brien. Then, sometime before midnight, my eyes heavy with sleep, the couple returned and Mike drove me back home. As I prepared to leave the car, he shook my hand, thanked me, and gave me my paycheck for the night. Seven dollars and fifty cents.


I thought about Mike and Michelle last night while we were doing our last minute search for a babysitter. At first I thought, "Wow, I wish I could find a babysitter for that cheap!" Then I thought, "Wow, what kind of parents were they?! I can't believe they actually allowed me--at the ripe old age of thirteen--to assume responsibility for their child?! Someone should have called social services!"


Needless to say, we have yet to enlist the services of the local jr. high students. And it's not only because they charge much more than $1.75 an hour--though that probably has a little to do with it (we're far too cheap to go out for dinner and pay someone 8+ dollars an hour to watch our child). It has more to do with our own fears and paranoia. Jill's doesn't make a habit of saying things like: "Over my dead body." But I expect she would if I suggested we leave Adrian under the watchful (or not so watchful eye) of a seventh grader.


But that does leave us in something of a bind. Lots of folks from church offer to babysit, of course. But it's one thing for them to offer on a Sunday morning. It's another for us to ask for a Saturday night. If they were family--or family family--we wouldn't hesitate. But they're not. So we do.


Thus far, Jill and I have come up with a fairly simple solution: we don't get out much. At least not together. When we do, it tends to be some church event that we really can't avoid (such was the case last night). But most nights, we end up sitting quietly in our living room. Maybe watching Law and Order (or The Office if it's a good night). Maybe reading a book or writing blog posts. It's a far cry from the wild night life we once new and loved.


Okay, it's really not that at all. But still, it would be nice to have the option from time to time. So--anybody (preferably anybody related) want to move to Denver and be on standby Adrian duty? The pay is not great--but I'm sure the rewards are.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sherilyn -Dominee Huisvrouw said...

I guess it's a good time to start teaching Adrian some restaurant manners! We used to take Asher w/ us all the time. It's almost like a date, & at that age they have no idea what you're talking about!

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Maybe you can test us the next time that we're out. No sense moving if it turns out you can't trust him or the dog with us.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joel,

How I wish you could move the mountain to Mohommed.

Love,
Adrian's Grandma

spain dad said...

Joel, I can completely relate to this post. Well, except for the fact that when I thought back to my babysitting days I realized there were none!

Anyway, I couldn't imagine leaving Alleke with a jr higher either. We lucked out because one of our close friends happens to work at a daycare, loves Alleke, and could use the extra cash, so we enlist her when we need paid help. It costs more, but at least we can rest easy.

Sometimes if we're sick of taking care of Alleke we invite ourselves over to our friends' houses so we can watch their TV while they entertain Alleke. I wonder if they've caught on yet :)