Monday, May 21, 2007

Book gripe

A loooooooooong time ago, waaaaaaay back in my college days, I read Anne Lamott's first book of memoirs/essays--Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith. It was great. At least I think it was. Like I said, that was a long time ago (7 years?) so honestly don't remember many details. But I remember laughing a lot. I also remember hearing Lamott speak at Calvin College's Festival of faith and writing and laughing some more. In fact, I remember being so impressed with the book I even considered rereading it someday (something I rarely, if ever do).

But now I don't think I will--in part because of I'm afraid of what I'll find there (in other words, I'm afraid the book will, uhm, suck.) For one thing, there was Lamott's second book of memoirs/essays that was released a few years ago, Plan B: Further thoughts on Faith. Not so hot. But I was willing to let it go. I remembered my fondness for Traveling Mercies and figured it was a fluke. But then, a month or two ago, Jill and I went to a local bookstore to hear Lamott speak/read. Lamott was (how do I say this kindly?)...annoying. (oops, that's probably not kind). Those two things probably should have been good clues that its time for me to give up on Lamott, but I didn't. Instead, I got myself a copy of her latest book, Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith. I guess I was still hoping for redemption. But I didn't find it. The book was really not very good. In fact, I might even say it was lousy. Here are a few of the things I found lacking.
  • The content: Lamott subtitles her book "Thoughts on Faith." The truth is that there are actually very few thoughts on faith. Now, if she had called it "Thoughts on being middle aged", or "Thoughts on the Bush administration," or "Thoughts on weight gain" (or some combination of the above) the title would've fit. But she didn't.
  • The concept: Speaking of the title--those of you who are especially observant may have noticed that the three books mentioned above are all variations on a single theme (according to the titles): "Thoughts on Faith." I have to say, enough already. I suspect that the good material made it into the first book and the last two are full of the leftovers. Time for something new...
  • The comparisons: as one of my acquaintances points out, the low point of the book may be the line--"I sat tight. As tight as a sphincter." Ugh.
  • The criticisms (sorry, I'm stretching for a "C" here): Lamott has some harsh words for people who are conservative/"fundamentalist" in their faith and in their politics. That's fine with me. But what really gets my beef is that even while she speaks so strongly against folks who see the world in black/white on one end of the spectrum, she does the same thing herself on another end (I think this is called a double standard). You dislike Bush, protest the Iraq war, vote pro-choice etc etc and you're in and one of the good guys, if not, you're out...there's no middle ground.

So those are a few. I shouldn't make it sound like reading the book was complete misery, and pardon me if I sound like a book snob. Or (in keeping with the "C"s) a cranky old cynic. It's really not my usual practice to rip apart books (I usually choose indifference when I don't care for a book). But hey, I need something to write about.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting that you should write these thoughts because Bridget DeJager had the same things to say in her blog after reading those books. I'll have to at least read the first book so I have some idea of what you are talking about.

gardener said...

Hmmmm. Maybe you should be more discriminating in your choice of book titles. Your book store link, for example, offers the following choice, which seems much more promising to me. http://www.tatteredcover.com/NASApp/store/Product;jsessionid=abcFRVqP9qRBe-qtY-2kr?s=showproduct&isbn=9781565124387

Joel said...

Erika: I actually read the thoughts on Bridget's blog too--she was the one who warned me about the terrible comparisons. But all I could do was brace myself, and keeping hoping for the best... (okay, it wasn't THAT bad).

Mom: What can I say, I was hoping for the best. Like I said, I really do have fond memories of Traveling Mercies. And Plan B wasn't terrible, just not good (like this one).

sdouma said...

Hey Joel,

Not sure if you read comments way down on the old posts, so I'm writing up here. After laughing a couple of weeks ago at your "manly man" accomplishment of putting together your first BBQ, I thought I'd share the same delight...at putting together my first BBQ. I hope I can go for "competent woman" instead of "manly man". Burgers on the grill = excellent!

Joel said...

Way to go Sara...your life will never be the same.
PS: I enjoy checking out your blog too...