Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Manly Man...and other news

Well, Monday night at 7:19 pm it became official--I'm a manly man now. That was the moment that I finished assembling my new grill. That's right, we have a grill now. And I assembled it. And from this point forward, we'll be eating meat. Lots of meat. That I "Barbecue" (not "cook"--cooking is for ladies. Barbecuing is for manly men).
Here is a picture of the new beast in all it's glory.




Here's a picture of me, doing what manly men do. Pretend that's steak, not chicken.




In other news, the Platte River is VERY high right now. This is the point on the Platte River Bike Trail (which runs next to the Platte River) where I had to turn around today--there was just no getting through that one.

Here's a point a little further down the trail. I chose to walk around the other side, through the rocks where it was dry. This guy was slightly smarter than his friend, who tried to ride through that water. He ended up submerged up to his mid-thigh and, ultimately, tipping over into quite a deep pool of water. I shouldn't delight in the misfortunes of others, but I really wish I had had my camera out a few seconds sooner.


Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog, Joel. I finally came across it today. I really enjoy your writing, and I find myself laughing outloud a lot (even when I'm alone at home) at your humor.

gardener said...

Oh, those are tongs you're holding! I thought for a second that the manly man was scratching his chest. . . .

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Truely manly men where forest green sweatshirts (or Ts) with a big, gold "G" on the front.

Unknown said...

although they sometimes get words like "wear" and "where" mixed up.

sdouma said...

Hey Joel...
I randomed upon this today. I know randomed is not a word, but I feel that it should be. Looks like you've got a great spot to be out there - even if it's in the big, dirty city. The hiking/biking pictures say there's more to do out there, which is great.
Way to go on the BBQ!

Sheldon5 said...

Just seeing if I have this thing figured out know . . . good talking to you tonight.

Anonymous said...

i guess the new grill means you and Jill won't be coming "up" to use our grill to do your sausages...sigh...

sid and brenda