Monday, March 26, 2007

MORE Vacation


That's right...more goofing off this weekend. Just think, I usually only work one hour a week , and this weekend I even got that off!

We had a good time showing Brian and Becky a bit of Colorado.
Supper at Thai Basil Thursday (mmmmm), breakfast at Duffy Roll on Friday, a bit of work for me and Jill, then off to the mountains!



A couple from church was kind enough to let us stay at their mountain home near Fairplay, Colorado. That's a pretty cool part of the state, if I don't say so myself. You come over Hoosier Pass and suddenly see a huge open plain--it looks like Narnia. Its a strange feeling, because if you look straight ahead (not very far), you'd think your in Nebraska, it's so flat. But if you look around, you realize you're at around 10,000 feet and there are some really big mountains around (You can see Pike's Peak from where we were staying).

I confess, I can now see why "those mountain people" find a weekend get away so attractive. (By the way, anyone want to go in to buy a cabin with us? Or toss a hundred grand our way to get us started? I found a really nice little spot that might be relatively cheap. I can even send you a picture if you're interested in the investmnt opportunity). Jill and I (but perhaps especially Jill) really, really like to get out of the big, dirty city. I also love the chance to sit around and read in peace (Mary Doria Russel is a really good writer. I'm now 300 pages into A Thread of Grace, and still loving it--which says something since I'm usually sick of books by about page 200--and that's if its a good book), to play games (a lot of "Ticket to Ride"--Choo, choo!--this weekend), and, drink coffee (that mug made it taste even better), and generally do nothing. For me, the only thing that would have made the weekend more perfect would be if I had a bike a long. I would have loved to tackle the thousands of acres of National Forest in the Cabin's back yard. Maybe next time.

We left Sunday afternoon after a short hike in the snow. Stopped at three sisters for another hike, then came home and picked up Daisy, who clearly missed us a great deal. Here are some pics:

Our Humble Home.


Sunrise out our Front windows Sunday Morning



Jill, not being annoying at all.


Brian, Ever Thoughtful.


Jill, Showing that Puzzle Who's Boss.



Hiking at Three Sisters (Ever Green)


Jill, Doing What Jill Does




Becky Playing Hard to Get




No comments: