Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Small Acomplishment (or My First One)

Well, I had my first attempt at a mountain yesterday. Not a big deal, really. I rode out to Bear Creek State Park, through Morrison, and part way up Bear Creek Canyon (I think I have the names right--Mom and Dad, this is the Canyon we drove up on the way to Vern's). Despite Friday's self deprecation/flagellation (that flaGEllation, not flaTUlation), it went just fine. Of course, I only went to Idledale, four miles up, but it was something. And one day (tomorrow?) I'll ride all the way up to Kittridge (7 more miles).

Here's a pic of the road I rode. As you can see, nice gradual grade, lots of twists and turns, and better scenery than the downtown Denver bike trails. I was able to "settle in" and actually enjoyed myself--both on the way up and the way down. (And yes, I stopped to take the picture. Maybe next time I'll shoot a video while riding.) Sorry photography experts--I didn't quite nail the old "rule of thirds"...






And here's one of my turn around point. No significance, really. I just figured I ought to make some record of my first attempt at riding in the mountains. Even if it was only four miles up (in my defense, I rode 16 miles to get to those four miles). For posterity's sake, I guess...

Oh, and bike geeks, check out my new matching silver saddle/bartape. If you can't be fast, you should at least look fast.

PS: No bike posts for at least a week, I promise.

PPS: Little digital cameras that you can stick in your pocket are awesome.


No comments: